Procurement Specialists manage relationships with the company’s suppliers to ensure the best value, price, and delivery are achieved across assigned commodities. The Procurement Specialist reviews demand and orders materials consumed by internal and outsourced production. The Procurement Specialist analyzes costs, negotiates contract details, and offers strategies and solutions to help the company better manage costs for inventory and supplier services (productivity savings). The Procurement Specialist manages inventory level (stock turns) to ensure sufficient supply and avoid excess. The Procurement Specialist makes buying decisions, bids for a vendor’s services (price negotiation), places and schedules orders, tracks delivery, and resolves issues concerning price and delivery disputes.
Strong math, analytical, organizational, and communication skills are essential for success in this role. The candidate should be detail-oriented, able to contribute and work both within a team and individually, possess negotiation skills, and be self-driven to accomplish goals. An understanding of manufacturing / sales business operations and processes is important to their work, and contribution in business unit meetings of their role specific input is encouraged. As this role works with a diverse range of people from Executives and Management to front-line Operators, both within AmSafe and on the Supplier side, strong interpersonal skills and message intent are a must.
The Procurement Specialist is responsible for evaluating suppliers in order to find the best solutions for AmSafe’s material demand (supplier selection). They are expected to manage MRP parameters to drive materials to achieve the highest possible service levels while simultaneously meeting metrics in terms of dollars and stock turns. They are responsible for driving supplier success and working directly with the Supplier Quality Engineer to resolve any Supplier Performance issues, including any Supplier Corrective Actions Requests. They are responsible for achieving annual cost reduction targets. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Manages manufacturing and ordering data within MRP system for assigned commodities to drive an economical and efficient supply of inventory to meet demand. Manages daily regiment to review necessary business data.
- Manages purchase orders from placement, order acknowledgement, open order status, MRP suggested push / pulls, until delivery for receipt and incoming inspection.
- Manages prices for assigned commodities, reviewing multiple suppliers in order to make sound purchasing decisions, ensure gapless supply, and maintain / reduce costs. Included in the price management is the freight delivery terms, payment terms, and lead time.
- Monitors inventory / supplies / materials, deciding when to update lead time, modify stocking levels, place orders, expedite / de-expedite orders, or suggest the addition of additional approved suppliers.
- Monitors the performance of assigned suppliers for On Time Delivery and Quality. When necessary, works directly with Supplier Quality Engineer to implement corrective action to resolve performance issues or identify alternate approved suppliers to maintain gapless supply.
- Ensures that inventory is delivered on time meeting purchase conditions, with appropriate certifications, and meeting quality requirements.
- Ensures that invoice discrepancies are resolved, providing needed backup for variances and support for timely supplier payments.
- Works directly with the Business Unit Material Manufacturing Managers to resolve material shortages and provide updated recovery information.
- Works directly with the Business Unit Engineering / Project Managers to support new projects and products, as well as support existing product BOM changes.
- Works directly with MRB and Supplier Quality Engineer, to manage non-conforming inventory, including the processing of rework orders, generating returns to suppliers, requesting credits, or locating / requesting missing paperwork or certificates.
- Works with a competent understanding of MRP and ordering data fields.
- Works within a given budget to purchase goods and services for an organization.
- MRP – Material Requirements Planning
- Time Management
- Negotiation Skills – time, price, quality
- Data driven approach for action analysis
- Use of historical data to aid with predictive action
- Use of results data coupled with predicted / target data to measure performance
- Problem Solving – both historical and predictive
- Professional Communication Proficiency – both verbal and written
- Basic Mechanical Manufacturing Proficiency
This position does not have any direct reports.
This job operates in a manufacturing environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to moving mechanical parts and equipment in the production area.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a salaried, exempt from overtime, full-time position. The successful average candidate will regularly work in excess of 40 hours per week.
Moderate (less than 15%) travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- High School or Equivalent
- Recent experience, within prior 2 years, in a procurement role
- 4 years of experience in supply chain (purchasing or planning)
- 1-2 years of experience in MRP maintenance
- 1-2 years of experience in supplier management and pricing negotiations
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Business; Supply Chain Management highly preferred
- Experience in reading and interpreting blueprints
- Experience in building and analyzing Make/Buy decisions
- Greenbelt, 5S, or DMAIC / lean type certification
- APICS certification
AmSafe is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate in employment because of a person’s race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation, genetics, marital status, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, veteran’s status, gender identity, or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. The attached job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals. AmSafe reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the company desires. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee occupying the position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at-will.” To conform to US export control regulations, applicant should be eligible for any required authorizations from the US Government