Seatbelt Airbag System
New AmSafe Seatbelt Airbag – Lighter, sleeker with wireless on-board diagnostics
The AmSafe Seatbelt Airbag is the first and only airbag system certified for use on commercial aircraft. It was developed as a cost-effective method of 16g compliance for difficult-to-certify seat placements. AmSafe has improved on this state-of-the-art technology and developed a version of the airbag system that is sleeker in design, substantially lighter in weight, contains built-in diagnostics and is optimized to support fleet-wide retrofits.
Just like the original design, the Seatbelt Airbag looks and operates like a standard AmSafe restraint. In the unlikely event of a survivable accident, an inflatable bag stored in the lap belt portion of the seatbelt protects passengers of all sizes from traumatic head and neck injury.
The New AmSafe Seatbelt Airbag System
- 30-percent lighter in weight.
- Sleek design improvements include compact airbag lap belt packaging, along with AmSafe’s new lightweight buckle.
- Has an increased service life of more than 40-percent.
- Contains wireless on-board diagnostics (which can be used either manually or through an integrated wireless system).
In additional to the above improvements, the AmSafe Seatbelt Airbag:
- Meets the 16g requirement for commercial passenger seats, is a complete solution for FAR/CS/25.562, Head Injury Criteria (HIC), FAR/CS/25.785 and side-facing protection requirements.
- Has proven to be the most cost-effective solution for compliance to the 2009 16g ruling.
- Meets commercial g-force requirements: 16g/part 121 crash worthiness standards.
- Has logged over 500 million hours of service